The Alien Encounters/Dear Diary...

The Alien Encounters/Dear Diary...
Dear diary, I'm feelin' UHF today...

Saturday, October 11, 2014

Rest in Peace Saturday Morning Cartoons

Saturday Morning Cartoons
c. 1959-2014

10/4/14 was the first Saturday morning in over fifty years without a block of cartoons on the network television schedule. Though many would probably say good riddance to these more often than not insipid commercials masquerading as children's entertainment, it truly is the end of an era to witness the demise of this shared cultural touchstone for millions of American Baby Boomers and Generation Xers, though it was not entirely unexpected in this age of on-demand instant streaming and complete series DVD box sets.

But what the hell are kids supposed to do on Saturday mornings from now on?
Homework?  Mow the lawn?  Go outside and play?!
Pffft...BOR-ing!

I raise a bowl of artificially colored blue Boo-Berry flavored milk in honor of all the Saturday mornings I personally wasted sitting in front of the TV watching cartoons all those years ago.  How many brain cells did I melt watching the hilarious antics of Squiddly Diddly or Grape Ape?  And I turned out all right!

Hell, in honor of this solemn occasion I think I'm gonna watch every single episode of Secret Squirrel right now here in my van down by the river.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment